Monday, October 23, 2006

Lunes

O K, so a doe came into heat yesterday, but she was not one I was expecting; in fact the 2 that were next in line have still not come into heat, which looks promising. This brings my rate up to about 50% which is totally acceptable.

I have been looking at a drop of each straw under the microscope which has been helpful. The 2 does I bred yesterday had very lots of very active swimmers.
Then I re bred the doe that cycled and I didn't see anything when I looked. So I pulled another straw and bred her again and still I didn't see. However, one of the does that did not cycle was bred to the same buck!
The doe was still in heat this morning so I once again bred her, and this time I did see some sperm, so maybe there's a chance. This is a really great buck (Sempervirens Benito) and I have settled does to him before..
However now I need blank slides ( I have been using a few slip covers I found...) and it seems there is no place anywhere around to get them. I need to order them.
In a strange but somewhat similar way I also need test tubes. I broke the second to last speculum last night and I'd like to make some more. Strangely, I have not found a supplier that carries both slides and test tubes.

In sheep news, that ewe still hasn't lambed, but I did get the newly fresh ewe and a limpy one sorted out and put in the front field where I can grain them. I'll try to sort out the other poorer ewes so they can get a little more groceries. No rain in sight means no improvement in the pasture for a while.

I need to force myself to process this black fine fleece. This whole project has completely stalled.
Time to sell the others on eBay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home