Tuesday, October 24, 2006

tooooos

As soon as I started spinning that fleece last night, I lost the lock nut on the wheel. There's just no end of trouble in processing this one. But in a twist of good fate, the lock nuts I have for the stanchion bolts are the same size, so I was back in business quickly.

I got some good tips on checking the semen in my straws; it turns out that the last drops near the cotton plug are usually not good for checking, and rarely have good active dudes in there. That makes me feel a bit better about the semen, and I probably didn't need to use 3 straws, but if she settles then it was all worth it. Breeding my best milker to the highest rated buck should be a good thing.

I found a breeder nearby ( well, 2 hours..) that has Nigerian Dwarf does for sale. There is no one else anywhere around that is breeding these little dairy goats, so it's a good thing to start here. I might take a drive out there to see about them. She's also in a part of my neighborhood I have never been to before.

I need to get this stanchion done. Last night I worked on bending the rod I need for the latch and I had moderately good success. I have been fretting on how to do this, but it seems easier than I had thought.
I need to get some more steel..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home