Sunday, May 28, 2006

Clipping and grinding

It's now time to get ready for the Redwood Acres show in 2 weeks. I am taking a ridiculous amount of goats, mostly because premiums are available and I usually double my entry fee.
And the Fair book for our own fair in August is already available. It will be flood season again before I know it.

I got 2 black goats clipped yesterday, but today looks dark and a bit cool and I hate to wash and clip when it's chilly. I did see that one yearling I clipped might be a bit on the fat side once I got all that hair off of her.

This weekend there is a big show in Santa Rosa and I haven't gotten a report as to how it's going. The show is very stressful and I don't mind missing it at all. City people...

My sheep look so clean out in the field now with their winter clothes off. They look smaller, so much smaller like they fit better in the field.

I'll try to get back on the milking stanchion project today. Yesterday I made an attempt to bend the rod that will be the headlock. I wasn't sure how to get that done; 2 90 deg bends over the 1" square tubing. I managed to get one nice bend with a little coaxing with the vice, the propane torch and some ball peen/ rr track anvil encouragement. Now if I can get the other one...

My new discussion group on Yahoo (Junkyard Projects) is a great group and very helpful. Bunch of junkyard codgers all with ideas and opinions on tools, materials and how to get something done.
I'm discussing the pros and cons of various chopsaws, and what about metal band saws?
I am now using my hand skil saw with a metal blade, and I can get satisfactory cuts, but my precision level could be improved. I did get nice 45's for the corners of the headcatch.
Metal work is less about welding and mostly about cutting and grinding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home