Friday, May 26, 2006

Shearing day

I just got woken up by intense downpour rain on our tin roof. It wasn't even hail, although it sure sounded like it. Now, it's stopped, but that was intense.

Yesterday was the long day of shearing. In my farm year, it's one of the longest days, and I'm not even the one doing all the work.



I had called Kathy so she could bring her lamb to get sheared, and she ended up helping almost the whole time, before she had to go milk. That was great to have help like that. I'm getting too old to enjoy wrestling big fat ewes like that all day.





The final tally was 37 sheared, counting my big ram and the ewe lambs. That's the most I've ever had sheared, and if I get/ keep any more, it might be a 2 shearer day. It took about 4 hours. And what a disaster area my barn was in last night. It was like a wool bomb went off; there was wool everywhere and we had been using my milk room, so it all needed to be cleaned up so I could do evening milking


I managed to have exactly enough wormer that all sheared got wormed, so 2 birds with one syringe. Nothing like using the shearer to help with farm chores.


I kept 15 of the best fleeces and most of the lambs wool, which left a lot of wool to haul out to the manure pile. I am so relieved to have this done. It's a huge project that needs to be done in a narrow time frame. Last year I think I sheared too early and the sheep were really wooly when lambing/ flood season hit. I'm a month later this year.

Now, back to my milk stanchion project. If I can find my shop, as there's fleeces everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home